Secrets of the Forest



I used to enjoy going hiking with my family when I was a kid. I learned a lot about the forest and its inhabitants. Even in the cities there is lots of nature. Not only exhaust and hectic. You just have to look for it and create an environment in your living space where Mother Nature can show its wonders.

And don't forget to look up to the sky!

You never know what is happening above you. This is a shot of an osprey gliding along looking for his next meal.





You can click on the image to see a bigger image of the Osprey.

Then again, there are things looking down at us too.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

This frogs name is Black Knight

It is really a pleasure to observe all these frogs and toads. Yes, they do live dangerously in my backyard, but so far no harm has been done. This is a picture of Black Knight. He has been living in the yard for months and not only does he enjoy the waterfall, he also uses our small fountain on the deck as an interim home.

It is the same fountain that the dogs drink out of. Can you imagine being frog, sitting in the water and having this big German Shepherd mouth and sometimes two, coming at you. It amazes me that he can stay so still and neither dog will do anything but drink. The first time I found him in the water of the fountain, I was worried about him. So I got a tall bucket, about a 1/12 foot high and after a tremendous effort was able to capture him in there. Yeah. I really believed I could carry him down to the waterfall. Wrong. It took him like 10 seconds to just jump out again.

He has a favourite spot. He sits right on top of one the frog figurines at times. I nearly didn't notice this myself the first time. At the time this mini clip was taken, there were no dogs around.





I have to say now, that it seems to be better to just leave the creatures alone, they know best how much risk they can take. That is as far as frogs go. I have another toad story to come. Remember Dr. Bernstein. He had a dangerous encounter..... And in a way Java saved his life. Stay tuned for more.

No comments: