Secrets of the Forest



I used to enjoy going hiking with my family when I was a kid. I learned a lot about the forest and its inhabitants. Even in the cities there is lots of nature. Not only exhaust and hectic. You just have to look for it and create an environment in your living space where Mother Nature can show its wonders.

And don't forget to look up to the sky!

You never know what is happening above you. This is a shot of an osprey gliding along looking for his next meal.





You can click on the image to see a bigger image of the Osprey.

Then again, there are things looking down at us too.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Did you have any great encounters in the woods since my last post. I apologize that it has been a little while. It would be nice if someone would contribute their stories to this blog.  Do you have some pictures in jpg or gif to post? Did you travel and take some awsome shots?

Anyway, there was really nothing to report since the Fox walked by. Just the daily winged visitors, my dog and myself. I eliminated a squirrel from my garden shed by destroying its bedding, build out of one of MY cushions. Oh, well. Its gone now. Hopefully it never tries to move in again. I am glad I didn't have to use a trap.  Even though they are life traps, I don't like using it.

I am thinking about starting my annuals in a couple of weeks. And grow some perennials too. Not sure yet what winter is doing. Will it still hit us big time, or is it going to slowly go away. I doubt that. So I am trying to be patient and not starting the seeds up yet. I can't wait to spend more time outside again. We still have a good foot of snow on the ground. Yesterday's storm missed us though. YEAH. I am enjoying an azalea I bought a couple of weeks ago. I love the scent. I will plant it outside once its safe.

I looked at some birdhouses yesterday in the store. I would love to attract a bluebird, but even though they are supposed to be around here, I haven't seen them last year.  Being in the woods like that, it is difficult to find a good location to put the house.  I think they should get the sun at least for some time, and the trees provide a lot of shade. Still haven't decided.

With the upcoming Valentine's Weekend and the Family Day on Monday I guess everybody will be busy.  So I wish you all a happy one and tons of fun. Til next post.

No comments: