Secrets of the Forest



I used to enjoy going hiking with my family when I was a kid. I learned a lot about the forest and its inhabitants. Even in the cities there is lots of nature. Not only exhaust and hectic. You just have to look for it and create an environment in your living space where Mother Nature can show its wonders.

And don't forget to look up to the sky!

You never know what is happening above you. This is a shot of an osprey gliding along looking for his next meal.





You can click on the image to see a bigger image of the Osprey.

Then again, there are things looking down at us too.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Frankie - goes to Hollywood



Its another sunny day out here in the hills.  I love the warmth of the sun today, even though normally I stay in the shade.  Its just right out there. Comfortable.  I will dedicate some time to weeding later. After the rainshowers we had, some of them thought they had a free pass to my garden.

The one recent experience I would like to share today is Frankie, as I named it.  I looked up at the siding of our house a couple of weeks ago and wondered. What is this?  It looked like a stick and it had legs.  Cute as a button it was to me.  I wanted to pick it up, but then again I didn't want to hurt it.  So I just watched it for a long time.  It was a stick insect.



 

Its long legs, even the colours in these thin legs were totally cool to see.  He kept walking on the siding, took a break, kept walking a bit.  He was still there until we went to bed.  I even went out with the flashlight at night to check on him.  He was still there.

Next day though he was gone.  But just yesterday my husband noticed him again on the siding during the day.  I guess Frankie didn't go to Hollywood, but he seems to stick around.  Is that what sticks do?

Of course now I am constantly keeping my eyes open for more stick insects, but so far Frankie is a loner.  Check out LizandProfessor's blog for another kind of stick story.


No comments: